HOW WE WORK
WHY COMBINE DESIGN AND BUILD SERVICES?
Combining services means everything is done in-house, so you'll have one point of communication, cost, and accountability.
DO I HAVE TO USE BOTH DESIGN AND BUILD SERVICES?
In short, no. If you already have plans, no need to use our design services. If you just need design work, we can accommodate that as well. We are able to adjust our process to fulfill your needs for any project.
CONSULTATION: At our first meeting we want to learn about your unique needs, ideals and priorities for your home. It's helpful to share info about your lifestyle and how you want your home to work for you. Gather images that inspire you to help us understand your ideals. Supporting documents you may have (surveys, house plans, HOA covanents, etc.) are helpful at this stage. We will talk over your budget and a realistic timeframe for your project.
- SITE RESEARCH AND DOCUMENTATION: If we're well-suited to work together based on schedule, budget and style, we'll enter into a design/ build agreement and a retainer will be required. We will gather information from your local town/ city jurisdiction to understand the ordinances and parameters we're working with. We'll document your site with photos and accurate measurements.
- AS-BUILT DRAWINGS: All necessary plans and elevations of existing structures are drafted to give us a basis for design and mechanical program development.
- SCHEMATIC DESIGN: Now that we've uncovered all existing conditions, design begins. Loose sketches and concepts are formed and we begin to hash out design options together.
- DESIGN DEVELOPMENT: Once we've settled on a satisfying layout, more precise drawings and details are developed. Design & mechanical plans / elevations are presented and discussed along with options for materials and finishes. At this phase we work to nail down enough detail to put together a thorough and accurate bid package.
- CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS: Any changes to the architectural and mechanical design that come up during the estimating process are finalized, and the final set of construction documents are created. These include all necessary drawings for permitting as well as material and fixture schedules. Drawings are submitted for zoning and building permits and a start date for construction is confirmed.
After design development details are finished, we consult with our selected team of subcontractors to gather input and pricing. We create an "cost-plus" estimate broken down by trade category to present to you. After review and cost analysis with you, we make any needed adjustments to arrive at your budget, timeline and design priorities.
- We enter a "cost-plus" building contract, requiring a retainer of 5% of projected costs. When construction is eminent, we request a 20% deposit of total costs (and apply your 5% retainer to the deposit).
- The final set of construction documents are submitted from permitting.
- During construction, we maintain a safe, clean and professional working environment. It's our expectation that each of our excellent and experienced subcontractors show a high level of respect to you and to the job-site, completing their tasks in full, on time, and cleaned up completely for the trades following behind them.
- It's important to us to be easily accessible and responsive throughout your project. Keeping the lines of communication open helps everyone feel like a team and keeps your project humming along on schedule.
- Unexpected changes and costs come up in every project. We strive to anticipate each cost pre-construction, but should changes become necessary, we re-address your budget to keep you on target whenever possible. Typically we request payment for completed work monthly. We stand behind our work. If it's not done right, we will make it right, leaving you with a home you're thrilled to move back into upon completion.